Ashmore-Benson & Pease on Bowesfield Lane in Stockton. The company started in the year 1876 when two local men Mr William Ashmore and his brother-in-law, Mr S While, built the Hope Iron Works in Parkfield for the construction of boilers, gas-holders and bridges.
In 1883 Mr R.S. Benson joined the business and he was joined shortly afterward by Mr E L Pease who was with the company until his death in 1934. Amongst the companys early development in gas engineering was the invention by Mr E L Pease in 1888 of a telescopic gas-holder, which was then a great advancement on the orthodox type of structure.