Opening fours May 8th 1909. A civilised pastime which gained in popularity from the late eighteenth century onwards was the holding of regattas or boat races. The first recorded regatta to be held in Stockton occurred in 1788. There are no records of the results but the regatta was still going strong in 1825. In 1825 there is a mention of the regattas races being held on the river close to the Carrs (Teesdale Site) during the race week. The boat races were held in between the horse racing heats. Annual regattas were held after 1850 on a course from Clarence Staithes to Blue House Point in Stockton. Two rowing clubs were formed shortly after this date: the Tees Amateur Boating Club and the Tees Rowing Club. The areas rowing clubs, who were once deadly rivals, joined together after WW2 to form the Tees Amateur Rowing Club to keep rowing alive on the Tees. Rowing has continued to flourish and the annual regatta was reinstated in 1957, this time in Yarm but in 1978 the Stockton Regatta was revived by the Tees Rowing Club and Stockton Council and each year it attracts thousands to Stocktons Riverside.