Portrait of Marshall Fowler Posted on July 8, 2013 by Picture Stockton Team A portrait of Marshall Fowler, who sold Preston Hall to Robert Ropner in 1882. Preston Hall was built in 1825 for David Burton Fowler, it was acquired by Stockton-on-Tees District Council in 1947 and opened as a museum in 1953. Share this:TweetWhatsAppEmailLike this:Like Loading... Related
The Fowler family were originally from Sunderland, prior to the purchase of Preston Hall. As was common practice then and perhaps even now, the ‘ great n’ good’ married amongst themselves. In this case, it was amongst the Taylor and Stapylton (Stapleton) landowning families of Norton.
Polycarpus Taylor had been a Royal Navy rear-admiral, being orig. from Greenwich,Kent he had settled in Norton where in 1760 he built a large house which is still visible near to the duck-pond.
Whilst Preston Hall was evidently sold to the Ropner shipbuilding / engineering family in 1882, it is recorded that a Marshall Robinson Fowler (the gentleman above?), died at Preston Hall in January 1895? Was he visiting? A guest?
It was also used as the H.Q for Ashmore Benson and Pease at one time.