On their way to Market c1903 Posted on August 14, 2013 by Picture Stockton Team Sheep are being herded up towards the cattle market between The Square and Thistle Green with Stockton Parish Church in the background c1903. Share this:TweetWhatsAppEmailLike this:Like Loading... Related
The sheep appear to heading away from the market, down towards the river. Thats sheep for you!
This picture of 1903 shows just how long Stockton survived as an ancient farming and agricultural centre, despite the coming of heavy industry and major shipbuilding to the town during the early 19thC. industrial revolution. Livestock sales remained important, so much so, that in the late 19thC. the tree-lined open ‘promenading’ space, or park, known as The Square on Church Row, was adopted as a permanent livestock-market for the town. the trees and the decorative brickwork walls/ railings that surrounded this space being left in place around the pens, a section of which can just be seen, to the right of the picture. It can only be presumed by the time this took place that the wealthy owners of the large 18th.C houses on Paradise Row (just opp.) had moved on, thereby avoiding all the subsequent noise and ‘aromas’ that would emerge from what became known as The Cattle Market’.
This is were the public library now stands.