84 – 86 Church Road, April 2026

84 – 86 Church Road was formerly Paradise Row Primitive Methodist Chapel. Designed by Charles John Adams of Finkle Street, it was the first primitive methodist chapel to be constructed in Stockton. The building’s two distinctive towers, decorated with several grotesques, were designed to not only be decorative but functional by helping to bring air flow into the chapel.

The foundation stone was laid on 15 May 1865 by Errington Ridley, Esq., of Hexham and in a newspaper article it was reported that the new chapel would be composed of redbrick (which are still visible at the sides of the building) and ornamented with stone carvings.

Just one year later, on 20 May, the chapel (built at a cost of £3237) was opened with sermons preached by Reverend T. Southron of Stockton, Reverend T. Greenfield of Sunderland, and Reverend T. Smith of Newcastle.

The last service was held on 28 December 1947 and the building eventually became the home of a shop; at one point Unit-Heat and later a wallpaper shop.

1 thought on “84 – 86 Church Road, April 2026

Leave a Reply