Billingham and Romanby ploughmen in competition at the Horse Championships which took place in Crosby, Northallerton. John Dixon of Glebe Farm, Billingham became the eventual winner in the ploughing class.
Category Archives: Agriculture and Farms
Carlton Terrace, Yarm
Threshing Machine, Cunningham Farm c1940
Newsham Hall, Newsham
Newsham Hall in Stockton-on-Tees is Grade III Listed. Newsham is Anglo-Saxon meaning ‘the new dwelling’ and takes its name from a settlement around the 12th century. In the early 1800s the area was divided into four farms, Featherstone House, Newsham Hall, Newsham Grange and White House. Over the years the land has been sold off and now consists of Newsham Hall, Newsham House, Newsham Grange, Thornhill, Rose Cote, Featherstone House and Grey House.
Yarm Cattle Market – 1975
Stockton Cattle Market c1950s
Glebe Farm, Billingham – Leslie Dixon
Tommy Booth’s Fields – 1951
Wolviston Water Mill – 1950s
Winner of the W. Walker Challenge Cup, 1930s
These photographs are of my late grandfather, Walter Henry Rushworth, with his prize winning horse Dolly at Millfield Coalyard and at Norton Show collecting the W. Walker Challenge Cup, during the 1930’s.
Does anyone have any more photo’s of the Millfield Coalyard or have information where the Cup is presently located?
Photograph and details courtesy of Michael Thompson.
The Patent Drill Machine 1790
Late 18th century print entitled ”The Patent Drill Machine invented by C.Perkins, Stockton, 1790”. Courtesy of Cliff Thornton.
Summerville Farm 1989
This photograph is looking south from the A177 and shows the the old Co-op Priory garage to the left and is minus the traffic lights which have since been erected. It was taken in 1989 before the Co-op Hypermarket was built. Courtesy of Martin Spires.
This series of photographs show Summerville Farm in a state of disrepair. Courtesy of Terry Westwood.
Thompsons Close Farm, Wolviston
Thompsons Close Farm outbuildings in Wolviston 1984.
Elm Tree Farm
This is a view of Elm Tree Farm possibly taken in the mid forties. The farm was demolished around 1969/70 to build St Marks Church of England School. Courtesy of June Guy.